Monday, September 16, 2013

Reality, fantasy, or strategy?

Face reality as it is, not as it was or as you wish it to be.  ~Jack Welch

Reality.  This has been a topic on my mind a lot this past week.  My recent interactions with several clients have been a profound reminder of the challenge to define reality.  The discussion of reality could quickly fall into an endless chasm of varied philosophical thought.  That’s not where I’m going. 

Part of my work includes asking leaders within organizations detailed questions about their view, perspective, opinion, belief, etc. about their organization.  Then I try to piece together everyone's view and experience into one cohesive picture of reality.  In some circumstances this is easier said than done because the views of reality can be extremely diverse.

Recently, I've had leaders within the same organization describe their current state as everything from solid/sustainable to a crisis.  Another organization's leaders rated their level of effectiveness on a new project on a 10-point scale from 3 to 10.  I recall a board meeting several years ago where I was the board chair sitting right next to the organization's leader.  The following morning she called and said, "I think we had consensus on a number of items."  I said, "I don’t think we reached consensus on anything."  Two people sat right next to each other in a meeting, then walked out the door with two very different views of reality.

Max De Pree, who I've quoted before, said (in 1987), "The first job of a leader is to define reality."  I've been wondering lately if it's evolved to more than just defining reality.  Because we live in a state of change that is moving at a faster pace than any point in history, reality is not a static state, but a dynamic state with constant twists and turns, false starts, and experimentation.  Is a leader's job more than defining reality?  Is it also about keeping the organization connected to reality, harnessing reality, and leveraging it for all it's worth?  By harnessing reality I'm not suggesting that leaders don't create change or shape the future.  I am suggesting that decisions are being made within the context of an accurate view of reality, not false assumptions or hollow aspirations.

How do you do that?  In real estate the long-time maxim has been "location, location, location."  In our current state of unbridled change, I'd suggest the maxim for leadership is "listen, listen, listen, communicate, communicate, communicate."  Leaders must listen more intentionally now than ever before because everything is changing.  No one single person's view of reality (including their own) is going to be accurate.  The only way to see reality that has constant moving parts is to see it through many different eyes.  That means listen, listen, listen.  Paul Watzlawick said, "The belief that one's own view of reality is the only reality is the most dangerous of all delusions."

Once you've listened, then harness reality by communicating, communicating, communicating.  I think plans are great!  I make a living by helping organizations create plans and they're an important part of organizational communication.  However, I think we're all a bit naive if we believe that those plans won't be fraught with false starts, re-dos, and adjustments.  That's what it means to be harnessed to reality.  When employees feel the whiplash of a sudden shift in direction, they need to know that the change is not a result of chaos or indecision, but of a discipline to stay connected to reality.

Reality:  We define it by listening (a lot!).  We harness and leverage it by communicating (a lot!).  We stay connected to it by being disciplined (a lot!).

No comments:

Post a Comment