Monday, July 8, 2013

Fireworks, veterans, and freedom!

The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality, the last is to say thank you.  In between, the leader is a servant.  ~Max De Pree

I spent the Fourth of July holiday in a small town; something I've done for the past eight years.  One of the things I've noticed over these years is that I believe the folks who live in smaller towns are more patriotic, at least when it comes to taking time to both celebrate our independence and honor those who have made that independence possible. 

I stood on the sidewalk watching the parade pass by and noticed that I happened to find an open spot next to an older couple who had set-up a card table and two lawn chairs (you know, the kind that have an aluminum frame with the nylon weaved seats) to sell books on the town's history and some of their more notable veterans.  Then I noted that the man was wearing a cap that boldly proclaimed World War II Veteran.  As the flag passed by to signal the beginning of the parade, the couple stood and it wasn't hard to see by the expression on their faces that "independence" really meant something to them.  I started to wonder how much "Independence Day" has really become "fireworks, cookouts, and a day-off" day. 

It reminded me of a time when I had listed all of the official holidays for employees and one of my colleagues inquired, "What about the Fourth of July, don't we get that day off too?"  I responded with, "Yes, it's listed as Independence Day."

Do we really forget that quickly the effort, sacrifice, courage, and bravery that allows us to have the freedom we take for granted? 

How often do we do the very same thing within our organizations?  Every organization has employees who are going through difficult personal challenges, who have sacrificed too much of their personal/family lives for the sake of the organization, and who show up for work everyday without complaint.  And how often do we sit down with these people, face-to-face, and simply say, "Thank you."

I've been in the workforce now since 1986 when I started my first job out of college.  I worked for my college alma mater as a recruiter.  What do I remember most about that job?  The college president periodically showing up, sitting down in my office, and asking me about my recruits and telling me how much he appreciated the work I was doing.  It's 27 years later and that's a memory so clear it seems like only last year.  I've tried to carry that influence with me through the decades and I'm sure I've not been nearly as consistent or committed to saying thank you as was Dr. Richard Stephens.  But that memory is certainly still with me.

Max De Pree also said, "How important it is to learn to say thank you! There are many ways to say thank you, but the problem is to find the most graceful and fitting."

So take a second to think about whom you need to thank.

What is a fitting and graceful way to thank them?

What do you intend to do about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment