Monday, December 9, 2013

Mandela is hope.

He was more than just an individual soul; he was the exposition of the African spirit of generosity…He’s only a reference and a marker to the better possibilities of our humanity. ~Dean Michael Weeder of St. George’s Cathedral, Cape Town

This week we remember one of the great leaders of our lifetime – Nelson Mandela. What we remember most is not some great invention created, or massive company built, or billions of dollars donated. We remember his character, his unwavering and powerful ability to forgive. And it’s his character that now draws world leaders from around the globe to South Africa to pay tribute to his leadership that extended to every corner of every nation.

Following is only a portion of the quotes published by MSN to honor Mandela’s 95th birthday.

"It always seems impossible until it's done."

"No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite."

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world."

"I have walked that long road to freedom. I have tried not to falter; I have made missteps along the way. But I have discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can only rest for a moment, for with freedom come responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not ended."

"I am not a saint, unless you think of a saint as a sinner who keeps on trying."

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."

"I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul."

"When the water starts boiling it is foolish to turn off the heat."

"Freedom is indivisible; the chains on any one of my people were the chains on all of them, the chains on all of my people were the chains on me."

"As we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same."

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear."

"There is no passion to be found playing small, in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

"We must use time wisely and forever realize that the time is always ripe to do right."

No comments:

Post a Comment